Skip to main content

Plagiarism rules

an ORANGE logo defined 


Cake wars are on fire:  claims of plagiarism unfold on Twitter.  It is a cake boss of the inauguration kind.  


Sadly, if you are renowned in some way and your craft is shared online you are exposed to plagiarism.

But what do you do if you are not renowned in any way, a mere blogger who shares ideas openly to help others?

What if your blog logo, an orange, is used as a logo for an internal initiative by the company you work for?  How do you prove that the idea stemmed from your own creativity and borrowed or used?  

The same logo I unveiled on my blog was adopted for a corporate initiative:  coincidence?  Recourse? 


Aren't you glad I chose orange?


Does it even matter?   Coincidence or not?  How can one make such claims when the logo is used internally and not for public scrutiny?

I can certainly say that I was not, am not, involved in any form of marketing, messaging or creative for said company.  

Every day I go to work, this logo is paraded in front of me.  In fact, my paycheque depends on that logo.  I've struggled with this observation for a while now.  Perplexed by how anyone can make such claims without coming across sounding like whining?  

Outrage?  Controversy?  Not me.  I probably was naive initially, taking it as a compliment that one of my ideas would be adopted by the company I work for, under the umbrella of my own opinions that I continually safeguard my opinions as my own and not that of my employer.    Do I really own my ideas while earning a paycheque for said company?  

If you are an online personality or enthusiast who's ideas began long before working for the company.  Still, you have to ensure that you remove your opinions from associating with the company you work for ... now or in the past.   What about while various policing by companies to ensure you are not slandering the company, disclosing confidential information, or saying anything negative, they have you on their watch list that you cannot prove, as it is undercover cloaked in disguise.  


ORANGE


Then voila, your idea, information, logo is adopted by the company.  You are really handcuffed to not say anything: avoid appearing negative or open for discipline or loss of job for making claims that would not appear to be obvious, unless one works for said company:  just about everyone employed there has seen such image of an orange.

Intellectual capital ownership really belongs to you or the company you work for?  

There are safeguards in place for artists, musicians, writers for their protection from plagiarism.   Safe to say, it protects their intellectual, artistic capital.  If you read many Code of Ethics you sign with an organization you are paid by, you relinquish any creativity or ideas you come up with.  Doesn't that cover those that are credited, recognized and are compensated for coming up with ideas and not a lowly person on the totem pole who expresses ideas unrelated to the company?  

I'm curious what others think about this?  Would an employee be barking up the wrong tree, be exposed to termination if they disclose such potential controversy?  Try to claim ownership rightfully.  Ask to be recognized properly.  Or, just come across as a whiner or wannabe?









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long dark tunnel

As my chest tightens I battle the thoughts trying to invade me.  Which is worse?  The memories or the fear of the future? Watching a wedding yesterday torpedos me back to memories on how I ended up marrying him.  After years of uncertainty, we seem to blend and melt into a family plot of four children from the other's previous marriages.  Symbols of failure which expound so much joy, proving that the cup is really half full.   Feeling failure is probably not unique to the mid life crisis era of those begotten to be forgotten.  Yet there are so many others who can expell and expand into the world as one of the greats.   It doesn't seem like any of the greats didn't feel failure.  That chest heavy, air sucking the wind out of you until you're almost breathless, while the brain churns.  That is probably a really good description of the feeling of failure. Watching the kids all have a great time, the parents still symbols of a period where manners overruled

The interview police

There are so many great websites, blogs, articles, books out there that capture the interest of job hunters or career seekers.  You are given advice on your resume, your attitude and how to behave at the interview. Yet while there are so many of these sites that offer interviewers advice, where are the interview police?  Well, I guess between Google searches, Linked In and other sources, one can easily find out a lot about a prospective employer.   Distaste can be quick and immediate if one has a poor interview experience.  That being that the interview was unprofessional, disrespectful and disengaged. I don't think that many companies assess what they are doing about their hiring practices and how they may be treating prospective employees.  That is likely a major oversight that only is rectified when the job market switches positions:  from a buyers market perspective of employee recruiting to a sellers market from those seeking employment. What are organizations doing

A cheater's paradise

Policing employees' performance is one thing that most companies do well. However, being the corporate watchdog is quite a different conundrum. At what point do company code of ethics cross over into personal behavior at work. In some areas it is natural for organizations to provide guidelines for its employees behaviors at work, while quite a hotbed of varying opinions when it comes to what employees do on their own time. I broached the subject when posting on my main blog TheOptioneerJM where I began a discussion on how whistle blowers are treated within organizations.  What bothered me to the core is how an organization reacts to a whistle blower says a ton about their culture. Meaning, you can have policies, guidelines, codes of ethics and beyond, but they become meaningless when managers or employees take it a step too far. In my example, with anonymity caveats all over the place, it appeared that an employee who blew the whistle on one manager's harassing behavior